Pear and Gorgonzola Flatbread
Serving Size: 6
- 12 Lite Canned Pear slices, drained, reserve juice
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup corn meal
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3/4 cup diced Prosciutto
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Cracked black pepper, as needed
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven 400°F.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup reserved Pear juice to 115°F. Place heated Pear juice in a stainless steel bowl and sprinkle yeast over top. Cover and let stand 5 minutes while mixture foams.
- Stir yeast-juice mixture and let rest 1 minute.
- Stir oil and salt into yeast mixture.
- Add 1 1/2 cups flour and all the corn meal to yeast mixture and mix well. Stir in remaining flour in 1/4 cup intervals until dough is stiff enough to turn onto a floured surface.
- Knead dough 5-6 minutes, adding flour as needed. Place dough in an oiled bowl and turn over to oil top of dough ball.
- Cover and let double in size. Punch dough down.
- Divide dough into 6 even pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a thin, 10-inch oval. If desired, dough may be covered tightly and refrigerated until ready to use. If chilling, bring dough ovals to room temperature before continuing.
- To prepare, brush each oval lightly with olive oil and grill over medium, oiled-side down, until marked and lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Turn dough over and reduce heat to low.
- Top each flatbread with: 2 sliced Pacific Northwest Lite Canned Pear halves, 3 Tbsp. crumbled Gorgonzola, Tbsp. Prosciutto, Tbsp. Parmesan. Drizzle each topped flatbread with 1 tsp. olive oil and a sprinkling of cracked pepper and chopped rosemary.
- Cover grill to melt cheeses for approximately 2 minutes.
- Remove flatbreads from grill and let stand 3-4 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving on a board. Note: Flatbreads can be finished in oven if desired.
Recipe Source: Pacific Northwest Canned Pearshttp://www.eatcannedpears.com/recipes/family/377
See more Canned Pear Recipes