This recipe works for: Main Dish
- Penne pasta, whole wheat, uncooked 8 quarts + 1/3 cup
- Water 31 ounces
- Olive oil 2 tablespoons
- Onions, diced 1 quart + 2 ¼ cups
- Garlic, fresh, chopped 2 tablespoons
- Chicken stock, low sodium 3 quarts
- Tomatoes, diced, canned with juice 3 quarts + 2 cups
- Crushed red pepper 2 teaspoons
- Chorizo, cooked, crumbled 6 pounds 4 ounces
- Ribbed, chopped 30 quarts
- Mexican cheese (optional) Shredded 3 cups + 2 tablespoons
- Cilantro (optional) chopped 1 cup
For the Pasta:
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain and lay out on sheet pans to cool if not using right Pasta may be cooked and cooled a day ahead.
Note: Keep cold food at or below 41°f.
For the Sauce:
- In a tilt skillet or stove top braising pan, heat the oil over medium-high
- Add the onions and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add the stock, tomatoes with juice, crushed red pepper, chorizo, and kale.
- Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add cooked pasta to the pan and simmer to heat the
- Transfer pasta and sauce to steam table pans, garnish with cheese and cilantro (optional).
- Hold hot for service.
Note: Hold for hot service at 135°f or higher.
- Cook and drain pasta according to package instructions. Let the pasta cool covered so that it does not dry You may choose to gently rinse the pasta under cold water so that it does not stick together.
- Cook the sauce exactly as above, and cool the sauce in a blast chiller (preferred) or under refrigeration until cold (41°f or below).
- Mix the cold sauce into the pasta. If the sauce seems thick, add a few cups of water, as this will help steam the pasta when reheating and keep it from drying
- Scoop one large 8 ounce spoodle (approximately 12 ounce portion) of pasta and sauce into food trays and seal the Keep cold until service.
- Reheat/Re–thermos on medium for 30-35 minutes until hot (165°f) and serve
- Alternately, you may put a pan of warm water in the bottom of the re–thermos to create some steam, which will help keep the pasta and sauce moist and
Hint: Re-heat can dry out pasta and rice, so it’s a good idea to add water to pasta as instructed above.