English Muffin Pizza
Most kids don’t even get close to their daily fiber needs, and this recipe offers 5 grams of fiber per serving. It’s also packed with whole grain goodness and phytonutrients, plant-based compounds that offer immune protection and health benefits. If you have any left-over mushroom meat sauce, serve it over whole-grain pasta with a side salad for tomorrow’s dinner.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 oz mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 8 oz ground turkey 99% lean
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 8 whole-wheat English muffins halved
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese low-fat
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add ground turkey. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink, about 7 minutes, using a spatula to break apart. Stir in Italian seasoning.
- Add pizza sauce and black pepper, and mix over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Preheat often to 400°F.
- Separate whole English muffins into 16 halves, place on a baking sheet, and toast for 2 minutes.
- Top each muffin half with about 3 tablespoons of the pizza sauce mixture and 1 tablespoon shredded cheese.
- Place in the oven, and cook for 5 minutes, until cheese melts.