This recipe works for: Soup
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium ribs celery, chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups chopped fresh seasonal vegetables
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large can California Diced Tomatoes, with their liquid (or 2 small 14.5-ounce cans)
- 4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Orecchiette, elbow or small shell pasta
- 1 can (15 ounces) Great Northern beans or cannellini beans
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped kale or chopped collard greens
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnishing (optional)
Warm 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the chopped onions, carrots and celery, tomato paste and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, about 7 to 10 minutes.
Add the seasonal vegetables, garlic, oregano and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring frequently, about 2 minutes.
Pour in the diced tomatoes and their juices, broth and water. Add the salt, bay leaves and red pepper flakes and fresh ground black pepper.
Raise heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, then remove the lid and add the pasta, beans and greens. Continue simmering, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat; remove the bay leaves. Stir in the lemon juice and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Taste and season with more salt and pepper. Garnish bowls of soup with Parmesan, if you’d like.