Steam Peeled Tomatoes Shakshuka
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small eggplant diced
- 1 28 ounce can of steam peeled, whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 tsp za'atar seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper optional
- 6 large eggs
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over low-medium and add garlic and onion. Stir and cover, letting cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add the finely diced eggplant before stirring, covering, and letting cook 5-7 minutes.
- Next, pour the steam peeled tomatoes and juice into the pan and smash with a wooden spoon. Alternatively, you can break apart the tomatoes with your hands or dice the tomatoes before adding them. Stir well bring to a boil before bringing the heat down and simmering an additional 5 minutes.
- Make small wells in the tomato mixture with a spoon before dropping each egg. Cover the pan and let eggs cook for 8 minutes (or longer depending on your preference). You may also transfer the pan after 2-4 minutes to the oven to broil for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add extra seasoning if desired and serve with your favorite bread.