Fire Roasted Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese
Grilled cheese and tomato soup is a classic combo to enjoy throughout the colder months. This comfort food is elevated with ingredients like fire roasted tomatoes and sliced cheese of your choice for a hearty meal.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 celery stalk sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes 28 ounces
- 1 cup broth vegetable or chicken
- 1/4 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- 4 slices bread
- 4 slices cheese
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Saute for 5 minutes until slightly browned.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, and italian seasoning and saute for 1 minute.
- Add fire roasted tomatoes and broth and let simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on to avoid splatter.
- If you have an immersion blender, blend the soup on low until it reaches a smooth texture. Alternatively, you can transfer soup to a blender and blend on low until it reaches a smooth texture. If using a regular blender, be sure to firmly hold the lid on top while blending.
- After blending, stir in whole milk or heavy cream.
- Keep warm until ready to serve with grilled cheese.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. On the unbuttered side, add 2 slices of cheese per sandwich. Put bread together (with bettered sides facing outward) to make 2 sandwiches total.
- Heat large pan to medium heat. Once hot, add sandwiches and cook for 3-4 minutes per side to give it that nice golden brown crust.
- Serve the grilled cheese sandwiches with prepared tomato soup.*
*You can turn your grilled cheese into croutons by cutting into 1-inch cubes then sprinkle over tomato soup if desired!