Salmon Burgers with Cuban Pear Mojo Sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 Jalapeno or Serrano chilies seeded and minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) canned pear slices drain, reserve juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound salmon fillet skinned
- 4 think slices of red onion
- 4 Kaiser or onion rolls toasted
For Mojo Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil; sauté chilies and garlic for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Drain pears, reserving 3 tablespoons of the juice. Stir the reserved pear juice, lime juice and salt in to the sauce mixture.
- Return pan to heat and bring mixture to boiling. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Prepare medium-hot coals. Cut salmon into four pieces to make four square “burgers.”
- Arrange salmon pieces on grill; brush with some of the Mojo sauce. Grill salmon five minutes, brushing again with sauce.
- Add onion slices to the grill; turn salmon, and brush salmon and onion slices with Mojo sauce. Continue to grill for five to seven minutes more until salmon flakes easily with fork.
- Transfer salmon to toasted buns; top each burger with onion and sliced pears. Drizzle with additional Mojo sauce. Add bun tops and serve.