Southwest Quinoa Salad
This flavorful Southwest Quinoa Salad is a quick and nutritious meal–perfect to meal prep ahead of time for lunch or dinner. Plus, you get to add any toppings of your choice!
- 1 cup dry quinoa, pre-rinsed (about 4 cups cooked)
- 1 3/4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1-15 ounce can diced tomatoes, liquid drained
- 1-15 ounce canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 orange pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 small red onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup canned corn or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 4 tablespoons lime juice (2 small limes)
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
Optional Toppings of your choice
- Protein additions like cooked chicken, shrimp, roasted chickpeas, or crispy tofu
- Cheese like crumbled feta, goat cheese, queso fresco, or shredded mexican cheese
- Fresh diced mango
- Toasted sliced almonds
- Roasted sweet potato cubes
- Chopped romaine lettuce or kale
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1. Add quinoa to a medium pot over medium-high heat. Let dry quinoa toast for 2-3 minutes, then pour over water or broth. Let liquid come to a boil, then reduce to low heat and put the lid on. Let simmer for 15 minutes until fluffy and cooked through. Once the quinoa is cooked: remove it from the heat, transfer to a large bowl, and let cool completely.*
- 2. To the same large bowl, add tomatoes, black beans, diced pepper, red onion, cilantro, corn, and stir to combine.
- 3. In a small bowl or food processor, whisk together lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, honey, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Pour dressing over quinoa salad and gently stir to incorporate the dressing throughout the quinoa.
- 4. Gently fold in diced avocado at the end.
- 5. Then in true Cheerful Choices manner… serve with any optional toppings of your choice to give it your own flare!
- 6. You can store this salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- *Meal prep tip: You can make this quinoa ahead of time and store in the fridge until ready to make.
- February is Canned Foods Month and for this recipe we are using canned tomatoes as a convenient, affordable option. Click here to learn more about the benefits of canned fruits and veggies!