Lentil Taco Filling
This lentil taco meat recipe can be super simple and made in 5 minutes, or more elaborate, taking 10-15 depending on the time and ingredients you have on hand. You'll note in the recipe's ingredients below that there are several listed as "optional". I love to use them when I can, but if you need dinner ready immediately, you can still build delicious tacos, balanced in nutrients, with just the main (not optional) ingredients listed.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or other oil
- 1 14 oz can of steam peeled chili seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion diced optional
- 1 large carrot shredded optional
- 2 cups pre-cooked or packaged lentils
- 1/2 tsp cumin optional
- 1/2 tsp oregano optional
- 1/2 tsp paprika optional
- Heat oil in sauté pan over low-medium heat before adding diced onions, if using, and stirring. After cooking 1-2 minutes, add optional shredded carrot, stir and cover.
- Add your steam peeled tomatoes to the pan and stir in optional additional seasonings.
- Stir in pre-prepared or packaged lentils, cover and let cook 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add to taco shells or taco salad along with your favorite toppings.